As you can see from the time this was posted – it’s waaay before the arse crack of dawn.
The birds have not even woken yet!
And I’m awake.
Usually I can fall right back to sleep when my bladder wakes me – but when I lie in bed, and my head starts swirling about all the things I’m not able to do, all my failures and stupid stunts, I’d rather get out, switch on the light and go do something. Nothing ever good comes from thinking about dark things at the darkest hour of the day.
Of course, I have an interview today – no need whatsoever to be well rested and bright eyed and bushy tailed…
No worries though. I have things to watch, and a waistcoat to knit, so the time will not be lost.
As an aside. I’ve been baking biscuits ad nauseum for the past month or so. But I have not been able to bake a ginger biscuit that looks like the ones you get in the packets. The ones that cracks. Bar hitting the 5 different ones I’ve made so far with a bloody hammer to crack them, I have no idea. Does somebody out there maybe have a recipe, or the secret to backing cracked biscuits? I’ve tried old fashioned ones. American ones with molasses and butter, new ones – I have no idea how to get this done. Neither does mom. Not for want of trying though!
Got mom’s old, huge, thermo-fan stove put in my kitchen over the weekend. BiL and myself carried it into the house. Carried. So, I’m many things, but useless is not always one of them ;-). Of course I had to remove one of my precious cupboards, but it should save me quite a bit of money on power once I start up the big one. Should be able to bake at least 3 batches of biscuits in one go – so instead of baking for 45 minutes on one batch, I’ll bake for 15 minutes on 3. Of course with the quantities I’m baking, and the different kinds of biscuits, it’s going to force me to be much less leisurely – the washing up has to happen instantaneously because once the one lot is out, I don’t have much time to get the next lot in. Which will mean I have to get much quicker at rolling the dough and getting the shapes out and on the pans. I packed 5 kg’s yesterday for BiL to take to work today – which means I will have to bake a few batches today after the interview.
Once I get a job I will continue with the biscuits – keeps me busy, shows me I can actually spend time successfully in front of the stove in some fashion, and it does generate a bit of extra income. Never a bad thing that 😉
Hope the day is a lovely one, and a few good vibes won’t go amiss at 9 am SA time!!
George Carlin’s Philosophy Class
1. Don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things.
2. One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
3. Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
4. If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys
5. The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the
bad girls live.
6. I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, “Where’s the self-help
section?” She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
7. Could it be that all those trick-or-treaters wearing sheets aren’t
going as ghosts but as mattresses?
8. If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is
no woman around to hear him … is he still wrong?
9. If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is
it considered a hostage situation?
10. Is there another word for synonym?
11. Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do “practice?”
12. Where do forest rangers go to “get away from it all?”
13. What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered
14. If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
15. Would a fly without wings be called a walk?
16. Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will
17. If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
18. Why don’t sheep shrink when it rains?
19. Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
20. Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
21. How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
22. Is it true that cannibals don’t eat clowns because they taste funny?
23. What was the best thing before sliced bread?
24. One nice thing about egotists: they don’t talk about other people.
25. To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.
26. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
27. The older you get, the better you realize you were.
28. Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
29. Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
30. Women like silent men; they think they’re listening.
31. Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.
32. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
33. Do pediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?
34. Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
35. Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
36. If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
37. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?
38. If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?
39. If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?